Alice's Restaurant ~ Dishin' Up Food for Thought

Alice's Restaurant ~ Dishin' Up Food for Thought ~~~ A place to share what I am thinking, reading, feeling & contemplating as I travel on this journey called life.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Happy 77th Birthday Mom

Today my mom would be 77!  She has been gone from this world for 7 years!  I want to think of happy memories of her today but instead woke up crying and feeling discombombulated...don't get me wrong, I loved my mom, she was my mom yet when I think of my mom many hurtful and painful memories crowd in.  I didn't have the best childhood but has anyone had the perfect childhood?

My mom and I didn't agree on a lot of things and yet some things she shared with me I am so thankful for so those are the things I want to share ~

~ my mom shared with me the gift of reading.  One that I have passed onto my kids and it is exciting to see my grandchildren also love books and reading.

~ my mom told me I could go to any church I wanted as long as it wasn't Jehovah Witness.  I was raised in the Catholic church but in my teen years I went to a small Assembly of God church where I met the Lord.  And when I was 17 I accepted him into my heart and he has been with me through the thick & thin of things in life.

~ my mom told me when I said I was going to marry Ron I could not just run home when we had a problem, "I made my bed and I had to sleep in it."  And I know my mom and many others didn't think our marriage would last - but in two days we celebrate 37 years of marriage!!!  I just love this guy and I know my mom did too.  Sometimes I think she loved Ron more than she loved me but that is for another time.

~ my mom told me the morning I flew to Holland to join Ron as I was blubbering that I was too scared to get on that big ole plane "go in the bathroom, wash your face with cold water, pick up that baby (Jamie) and do what you need to do."  And I did and when I think of that morning so many years ago I have to chuckle because I did exactly as she said and I am so thankful I did.  And sometimes I still have to repeat those words to myself, like I did this morning after crying through some thoughts and things laying heavy on my heart.

~ my mom taught me to make her gumbo recipe (not the typical seafood or chicken gumbo you hear about from Louisiana) but her gumbo and every time I make it, I think of happy thoughts of my mom.

~ and she taught me there is nothing better than a York Peppermint Patty, especially delicious when it is wrapped in the colors of Christmas and frozen
(so I may be going to the store later today to get some 
York Peppermint Patties and the makings for gumbo)

~ she gave me the gift of enjoying long rides, hey maybe we will do that this afternoon, just go for a ride and see some of this beautiful country we live in.

and so I say "Happy Birthday Mom!"  And I really do love you!