Alice's Restaurant ~ Dishin' Up Food for Thought

Alice's Restaurant ~ Dishin' Up Food for Thought ~~~ A place to share what I am thinking, reading, feeling & contemplating as I travel on this journey called life.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Random Thoughts ~ Again

Below are random thoughts taken from my time in the Word today ~

Friends ~

I read this
            Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 
       Two are better than one,
       Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. 
        But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
          For he has no one to help him up.
        Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
        But how can one be warm alone?
       Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
         And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
 
and then I began thinking about friends. 
 
I am so thankful for my many friends.  I have friends I have known for over 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years and even over 40 years and some friends I have known only for a short time.  I have friends that I have shared face-to-face time and some friends I have only met through the internet.  I have friends who have become a part of my family.  I have friends that share similar beliefs as mine, some who live a similar life-style, some who love chocolate as much as I do, some who love to cook and eat all sorts of different foods, I have a friend who can spend hours with me at a coffee shop and it feel like we have only been there for 30 minutes.  I have friends I can call any time of the day or night, who I can share my deepest fears and greatest joys.  I have laughed, cried, hugged, fought with and just be me with.  I can't say often enough how blessed I am to have so many friends.

Sometimes I wonder if I am a good enough friend.  I sure hope I am.  Do you have expectations of your friends?  And then I realize the way to be a good friend is to be the friend to others that I would want in my life.

By Patsy Clairmont ~ If you are walking toward Him to the best of your ability.  He will see you through life's unpredictable waters ~but you must risk launching the boat.  Just ask Peter!

What a reminder to me to keep the faith, stay focused and keep on trusting God as he will never abandon me no matter what is going on in my life.

My theme for study this month is Grace.  And the reading today comes from Proverbs 11:16 - 26 and specifically verse 25: A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

And it reminded me of a time when our son Jamie was in Iraq.  I just could not get myself out of bed to do anything.  I was so afraid if I went anywhere or did anything I would not be available or around if a call came saying he had been injured or worse.  One morning I was really struggling.  I called Pastor Charles and asked him to pray with me, I didn't even feel I could pray because I couldn't concentrate on anything.  Pastor Charles prayed for me and then he told me to do something.  He told me to call Jack and tell him I was coming over to clean his house.  You see, Jack's wife Dee had recently passed away and he could probably use some help with a thorough cleaning job of his home.  So I did just that.  Called Jack, told him I wanted to come and clean his house and he said "you don't have to do that."  I said I know I wanted to (inside I just wanted to stay home and hibernate) and then he said okay.  He was going out for a few hours so I could come and clean while he was gone.  So I got dressed and drove over to his house.   All the way thinking what am I doing???  Once I got there, I called out to Orca (the German Shepherd who loved Jack dearly and only tolerated others) and made my way into the house.  I cleaned the kitchen, the bathroom, vacuumed the living room, and dusted the bedrooms, the living room and dining room.  All in all it probably took me about 3 1/2 hours...by the time I was done I was exhausted but feeling so much better.  I learned a big lesson that day and have to remind myself of it every once in awhile ~ don't feel bad about me or what is going on with me (you know a pity party!) instead focus on someone else's needs whether they be physical or emotional...reach out to others, to do something for someone else, encourage someone - it doesn't have to cost a lot of money ~ make a phone call or drop a card in the mail or go clean someone's house or bake some goodies...trust me you will feel better.

Hope you were as encouraged as I was as God ministered to me today.